Oculoplastic and reconstructive surgery is a sub-speciality of ophthalmic surgery, which deals with problems of the accessory organs of the eye: eyelids and the periorbital region, tear drainage ducts and the orbit.
Because of the intimate relationship of these structures with the eye itself, this surgery is performed by ophthalmologists who have passed specific training and posess knowledge and skills in both ocular and plastic surgery, and have the resources to monitor the condition of the eye before, during and after surgery.
Dr Zoran Zikic is an ophthalmologist-ocular plastic and reconstructive surgeon. He has been practicing in this field since 2002. He completed his ophthalmology residency at the University Eye Clinic in Novi Sad, where he was employed during 1996-2010, as chief of the emergency department 2004-2010, and as a teaching assistant in Ophthalmology at the Medical faculty in Novi Sad during 1998-2010.
In the period 2007-2013. Dr Zikic was a visting surgeon at the University Eye Clinic in Banja Luka. During the same period he performed educational courses and demonstrative surgery at eye clinics and eye departments in Sebia: Belgrade, Subotica, Nis, Prokuplje, and in Bosnia and Hercegovina:Doboj and Tuzla.
He trained in the field of ocular plastic and reconstructive surgery at various european university eye clinics, with educational grants from leading international ophthalmological societies:
- 2002. University Hospital Erasmus and the Rotterdam Eye Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands: European Society of Ophthalmology (SOE) grant.
- 2004. University Hospital Dupuytren, Limoges, France: International Council of Ophthalmology and International Federation of Ophthalmological Societies (ICO/IFOS) international fellowship.
- 2007. University Hospital in Vienna - Algemeines Krankenhaus, Vienna, Austria: American-Austrian Foundation (AAF) international internship.
- 2007. Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Norwich, UK: ORBIS UK international fellowship.
Dr Zikic is a member of the following ophthalmology societies:
- Serbian Society of Ophthalmology (UOS)
- European Society of Ocular Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ESOPRS)